Sunday, May 13, 2007

Poverty - Reflection of The Past

This is my second weekend in Sandakan, a small city situated on the East coast of Sabah. I'm truely blessed with the opportunity to visit some of the innermost parts of the state. I have my first-hand encounters of the true scenarios of our very own people in the areas that are still untouched (well, almost) by the so-called mondernization. It is kind of saddening to know that while many people in big cities and towns are enjoying their lives living under the shades of the so-called modern and supposedly luxurious society, there are actually people out there who are still stricken with dooming poverty and struggling to feed their children. And they are our very own people. Well, some of them are doing OK but then many of them are still very much struggling. Well, I was born into a struggling farming family myself, and life was hard back then until my parents made a bold venture of moving out into town. Apparently, it was the wisest decision they had ever made. So, things with poverty have a very bitterly special connection with me and the encounters I made recently were nothing but a reflection of the past. And I couldn't help but getting a little bit emotional. Uhukss!

No comments: